Saturday, January 31, 2015
Thursday, January 29, 2015
We are all human beings and we can always make mistakes but Allah, the Merciful has kept the doors for repentance open for us and if we make mistakes or commit any sin it is our duty to seek Allah's forgiveness and to repent to Him.
Also it is important to note that it is not necessary to do istighfar only if we commit a sin instead we should supplicate and seek forgiveness from Allah at all times because our acts of worship and obedience are clearly insufficient to thank Allah for all the blessings which He has given us.
Allah says in the Holy Quran in Surah Az Zumar Chapter 39 verse 53:
Say; O my servants who have transgressed against there souls, despair not of the mercy of Allah; for Allah forgives all sins; for he is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.A similar message is repeated in Surah Nisa Chapter 4 verse 110:
If anyone does evil or wrongs his own soul, but afterwards seeks Allah's forgiveness, he will find Allah Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.Surah Najam Chapter 53 verse 32:
Those who avoid great sins and indecent deeds, only (falling into) small faults- certainly , your Lord is ample in forgiveness.....Surah Hud Chapter 11 verse 90:
But ask forgiveness of your Lord, and turn unto Him (in repentance), for my Lord is indeed full of Mercy and loving kindness.Asking Allah for forgiveness and repenting on our sins will wash away our bad deeds and can even change them into good deeds. This is what Allah told in the Holy Quran in Surah Furqan Chapter 25 verses 70-71:
Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous deeds, for them Allah will change the evil into good deeds, and Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful. And whoever repents and does good has truly turned to Allah with an (acceptable) conversion- in repentance.
If you are interested in viewing Islamic videos and lectures by famous scholars of Islam visit the link below:
All the lectures are in English language.
All the lectures are in English language.
Medical students and doctors can find helpful articles to study on the link below:
This is a blog that contains different medical cases along with pictures for good understanding and memorizing as well as related discussion on the topics.
This is a blog that contains different medical cases along with pictures for good understanding and memorizing as well as related discussion on the topics.
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
All of us do get sick at some point in out life and this illness may be a minor headache or a common cold and it may be something more serious even requiring a surgery. it is our duty as a good Muslim to seek the best of the treatment within our means and get advice from the doctors but at the same time it is very important to ask Allah to cure the disease and to supplicate to Him.
The Messenger Of Allah Our Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said:
Allah says in the Holy Quran in Surah Israa Chapter 17 verse 82:
The Messenger Of Allah Our Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said:
There is no disease that Allah has created except that He also has created its treatment. (Sahih Bukhari volume 7, book of medicine, Hadith Number 1962)Holy Quran is a miracle that Allah has revealed to Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) as the last and final message. This book is a blessing for the humanity. The Holy Quran is not only a guidance for mankind but Allah has also made it has spiritual cure and healing for various illnesses. This includes treatments for all worldly problems, physical and psychological diseases and a protection against evil eye. It is clearly mentioned in the Holy Quran itself by Allah that the words of Quran are a healing (shifa) for the believers.
Allah says in the Holy Quran in Surah Israa Chapter 17 verse 82:
And We sent down of the Quran that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe......There are many verses in the Holy Quran that we can recite and make supplication to Allah when we are sick. Some of those verses are mentioned below:
And when I am ill, it is He (Allah) Who cures me. ( Surah Shura Chapter 26 verse 80)2.
Monday, January 26, 2015
Everyone can get angry at some point in life. Anger is simply a human emotion and it is completely normal to feel angry when you are mistreated or wronged. The feeling it self is not a problem but what you do and how you react when you are angry makes the difference.
When this emotion of anger becomes out of control it can turn destructive and can lead to problems at work, problems with relationships as well as effects the overall quality of your life. It can also be damaging to your mental as well as physical health.
Definition Of Anger: Anger may be defined as a very powerful emotion feeling that happens when some one is frustrated, hurt, annoyed or disappointed. Anger can either help you or hurt you depending on how you react to this feeling.
Anger Management Techniques: Anger management is a term used to describe the skills one can use to recognize the feeling of anger and to take appropriate actions to deal with the situation in a positive way. Below are describes a few techniques to help manage your anger:
1. Take a break as soon as you recognize that you are angry: If you get angry you can take a break by stopping what you are doing, getting away from whatever that is irritating you and creating the frustration. For example:
- If you are angry at work step out of your room for a moment.
- If you are upset on something or someone at home, go to a single occupancy space (like in a bathroom) for a while and think about something different.
- If you find nowhere to go just close your eyes for a few seconds and think yourself in a peaceful environment.
2. Wait it Out and Let it Go: Research have shown that the neurological anger response lasts for only 2 seconds, beyond that it takes a commitment to stay angry. So it means you just need to control yourself from the negative effects of anger only for 2 seconds. Just count backwards from 10 and it will divert your mind for few seconds.
Humans are always a social creature and in need of friends and companions. It is not possible to live an isolated life only remembering Allah. None of us can deny the true fact that everyone comes in this world for a short period of time and that we have to die one day.
The issue of choosing the right companions and friends is very important in preserving and strengthening our religion Islam. Making friends with righteous and virtuous people is very important step in helping oneself remain on a straight path.
Allah says in the Holy Quran In Surah Kaaf Chapter 18 verse 28:
And keep your souls content with those who call on their Lord morning and evening, seeking His (Allah's) Face; and let not your eyes pass beyond them, seeking the pomp and glitter of this life, nor obey anyone whose heart We have permitted to neglect the remembrance of Us, one who follows his own desires,whose case has gone beyond all bounds.This verse defines how we can select our friends. It describes the impact of the good companion and the bad effect of a bad company.
Friends could be of many types, some of them just want to be with you in your good times, some are friends because they need your help with something, some are with you in both times of happiness as well as hardships but a really good friend is the one
- who guides and supports you to the true path,
- a friend who loves who and forgives you for the sake of Allah.
- A true friend accommodates your faults but also corrects them whenever it is possible in the best way without hurting you.
- inspires you to seek knowledge and increase your faith.
- a friend that helps you keep away from smoking and drinking alcohol or going to non -islamic clubs and parties.
Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said:
A person is likely to follow the faith of his friend, so look whom you befriend (reported by AbuDawood And Tirmihizi).Making friends with and staying in company with people who are not of good behavior also results in change of one's own behavior, moral and conduct.
Thursday, January 22, 2015
Iron Deficiency Anemia: If the body does not contain enough iron either to due lack of intake or due to excess loss , the bone marrow cannot make enough hemoglobin which leads to a condition known as anemia and when the cause is lack of iron it is called iron deficiency anemia. The major symptoms of iron deficiency anemia are:
- Feeling tired
- Lack of energy
- Difficulty breathing
- Getting breathless on minor exertion.
- And in severe cases signs like spoon shaped nails
Iron deficiency anemia is one of the most common types of anemia and the factors that can lead to decreased iron levels in the body include:
- More commonly seen in females of child bearing age because of regular blood loss during menstruation.
- Eating a diet deficient in iron.
- An increase in the body's need for iron for example during pregnancy and growing children.
Preventing Iron Deficiency Anemia: You can reduce your risk of getting iron deficiency anemia by eating healthy iron containing food. Iron in the food is mainly absorbed through the upper part of the small intestine.
Two Dietary Forms Of Iron: There are two dietary forms of iron.
1. Heme iron: Which is derived from hemoglobin and is found in animal foods that originally contained hemoglobin such as red meat, fish and poultry. Body absorbs most iron from the heme sources.
2. Non -heme iron: it is derived from plant sources.
List Of Iron Rich Foods:
1. Meat and Eggs:
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
The word Zikr has many meanings. It means remembering Allah in the heart or both in the heart and by the tongue, a prayer, dua, supplication made to Allah, Recitation from the Holy Quran or even pondering over Allah's creation and glorifying Allah.
The heart of the believer should be attached to Allah's remembrance throughout his day to day activities and this gives peace of mind and heart. It protects a person from falling in love with the material and temptations of this worldly life.
Quranic Verses That Emphasize On Doing Zikr:
Allah says in the Holy Quran Surah Anfal Chpter 8 verse 45:
..... Call Allah in remembrance much (and often) that you may succeedSurah Ahzab Chapter 33 verse 35:
......and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.Surah Rad Chapter 13 verse 28:
Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah, for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction.It is mentioned in Holy Quran in Surah Al Baqarah Chapter 2 verse 152:
Then do you remember Me ; I will remember you, Be grateful to Me and reject not faith.Allah describes the true believers as those who do zikr all the time. In Surah Al-Imran Chapter 3 verse 191:
Men who celebrate the praises of Allah, standing, sitting and lying on their sides and contemplate the (wonders of) creation in the heavens and earth.......In Surah Ankaboot Chapter 29 verse 45:
Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to you, and esatablish regular prayer, for prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds, and remembrance of Allah is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt, and Allah knows the (deeds) that you do.Few Hadiths On Virtues Of Remembrance of Allah:
Sunday, January 18, 2015
Here are some of the hazards to look for and some ways to avoid them.
1. Acetaminophen And Liver Damage: If you use acetaminophen such as Tylenol to ease arthritis pain or a backache or simply for a headache and also add a combination cold medicine for sniffles, you go well over the maximum safe daily dose of 3,000 to 4,000 mg. According to some recent statistics each year , about 78,000 people land in the emergency room for acetaminophen toxicity, which can lead to sever liver damage.
Initial symptoms include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and loss of appetite, and sometimes these early symptoms are mistaken for vague symptoms of cold and one can take another dose of cold medicine aggravating the damage.
How to stay safe: Stay away from alcohol if you are taking acetaminophen. Take the lowest dose that brings relief, and stick to the recommended timing and read the labels carefully. Many medicines contain acetaminophen in combination and you may take more than needed without realizing it.
2. Ibuprofen, Causes Ulcers And Kidney Problems: Ibuprofen (in Advil and Mortin) is a non- steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that is effective in relieving body aches, headaches and fever. It may cause a severe allergic reaction as well, especially in people allergic to aspirin, and can cause peptic ulcers and kidney damage with chronic use.
Ibuprofen is also known to cause an increase in the risk of heart attack or stroke especially in patients who are already having an underlying heart disease or high blood pressure.
How to stay safe: Avoid alcohol beverages if you take ibuprofen regularly. Consult your doctor immediately if you develop bloody or black tarry stools. Also if you experience any changes in urination take it serious and consult the doctor as it may be an indication of underlying kidney damage.
3. Decongestants And Risk OF High Blood Pressure: Decongestants such as Triaminic and Dimetapp cold drops- relieve nasal congestion by reducing swelling and constricting blood vessels in the nose, allowing you to breathe more easily. Unfortunately decongestants have a serious side effect causing blood pressure to spike.
Saturday, January 17, 2015
Friday, January 16, 2015
Holy Quran Is the book that was revealed by Allah as the last and final message to the mankind to our last prophet Mohammed (PBUH). Holy Quran contains a lot of scientific facts that were proved just a few years ago but those were mentioned by our Lord and Creator Allah in His final revelation about 1400 years ago.
Embryology is a new field of medicine and the man's quest to know about its origin has led people to study the development of the human body from the time of conception to birth. Holy Quran the great miracle has many verses that describes the origin of human being and its development in the mother's womb which are all now proved to be correct when studied in the light of modern science.
1. Embryo Develops In Stages:
The realization that the embryo develops in stages within the uterus was not known or proven by science until the 15th century when Galen a famous scientist mentioned the placenta and fetal membranes in his book "On the formation of the fetus". Later when the microscope was invented in the 17th century early stages of the development of a chick were studies by simple lenses. The developing stages of the Human beings were not proposed until 1942 by Streeter, and now these stages are well accepted by scientists today.
The Holy Quran describes this development in stages in very clear words in Surah Az-Zumar Chapter 39 verse 6:
.......He shapes you in the wombs of your mothers,in stages, one after another, in three veils of darkness. Such is Allah, your Lord and Cherisher; to Him belongs (all) dominion. there is no god but He, then how are you turned away (from your true Lord)?
The three veils of darkness are now clearly explained by scientific evidence and these are:
- The mother's abdominal wall.
- The uterine wall
- and the surrounding membranes of the fetus.
2. Description of Arabic Words Used In Holy Quran In Reference To Embryology:
In order to understand the verses mentioning the human development it is better to first clear the meanings of the few Arabic words used in the Holy Quran in reference to embryology. These are :
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
Many people talk about Islam versus Christianity or Islam versus Judaism or Islam versus other religions, however the real challenge that the Islam is facing these days is not the other religions but the challenge of modernity. or in other words we can say the challenge of secularism or the challenge of liberalism. This is a real challenge and we see nowadays many Muslims are accepting Secular Islam or Liberal Islam. This means that The so called Muslims are developing their own versions of Islam.
Understanding The Basic Background:
In order to properly understand this topic and the challenge of Modern Islam let us first discuss some basic background.
The first thing to make clear is What is right and what is wrong? This is one of the key question to which many of us can not give an intellectual answer. In other words we can put this question as Who has the right to define what is right and what is wrong? Most of the Muslims will answer it as Allah the Almighty,The Lord and the Creator has the right to define what is right and what is wrong. However the Secular point of view will be that the God has limited rights to define what is right and what is wrong but human beings can also define what is right and what is wrong. Instead some of those who believe in Secularism Say that God has given the human beings the right to define this right and wrong in the matters related to the worldly affairs.
This is the basic background behind the challenge of Modern Islam Or Secularism.
Also those people who do not believe in God or a define supreme power come up with their own ideas to define what is right and what is wrong.
The Issue Of Democracy:
Let us first understand what is democracy? The basic idea behind democracy is to control an organization or a decision by the majority. (For example if a group of people are attending a lecture and they need to take a break and have a snack. Now they want to decide either to take a sandwich or a pizza and then they vote. if the majority of them want a pizza it is decided to serve pizza to all of them.) But there is a fundamental problem behind this idea of democracy, First of all in any matter for which voting is done we almost never find 100% consensus.
Another problem that arises in democracy is that many of the people are ignored for example the under age or those who do not wish to contribute. Again in any population different people have different educational levels and so every one decides depending on their own understanding.
The Islamic Alternative To Democracy:
The Supreme Power according to Islam is Allah the Almighty. Allah cannot be biased, He does not favor anyone over the other. He is not influenced by any motivation. So Allah has the main authority to define what is right and what is wrong.
Allah has told in the Holy Quran at many places that the Quran is the guidance for the whole mankind.
Ramadan is the (month) in which was sent down the Quran, as a guide to mankind, also clear (signs) for guidance and judgement (between right and wrong)..... (Surah Al - Baqarah Chapter 2 verse 185 )
Monday, January 12, 2015
Dietary requirements changes when an individual ages. While experts recommend getting most of the nutrients from food, sometimes it is not possible. The digestive system of the human body becomes less efficient with aging and when an individual reaches 60's and 70's there becomes a limited ability to get sufficient nutrition from food alone. Before using any supplements it is always recommended to consult your doctor but here are few guidelines.
Even a mild deficiency of vitamin B12 may put an adult at risk of dementia. This was studied and published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. The acid in the stomach which is required for the absorption of vitamin B12 declines with age and therefore a person may get vitamin B12 deficiency. Vitamin B12 is essential for optimal brain function and it is recommended for adults over the age of 50 years to get most of the vitamin B12 from supplements.
Recommended dose is 2.4 micrograms daily.
Vitamin d is essential during 70's. It helps protect against illness and infections. The ideal source of vitamin D is sunlight but unfortunately elderly people are either bed ridden or get out less frequently. Also the body's ability to synthesis vitamin D from sunlight decreases with aging. This defeciency can be prevented by taking supplements. The supplements that contain vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), an active form is more effective than its vitamin D2 counterpart.
Recommended dose is 800 IU daily.
When an individual hits the age of 70, the ability to build muscle mass deteriorates. With aging the appetite decreases but at the same time the protein need may increase. Protein is essential for normal function of the immune system . According to Randall J. Urban, chair of the Department of Internal medicine at the University of Texas medical branch Galveston " Once you lose more than 10 percent of your muscle mass, your immune system does't function properly". The good news is that
1. Physician (MD): The physicians are still the ones in charge- and those with the most training, as indicated by the length of their white coats, the longest of any health care professionals. MDs have 3 to 7 years of training after medical school.
2. Physician Assistant (PA) : Physician assistants can diagnose and prescribe lab tests, treatments and medications. They typically have a master's degree plus 2,000 hours of training with patients while in PA school. A PA's white coat is a little shorter than a physician's.
3. Nurse Practitioner (NP) : A Nurse practitioner has a master's degree which includes 500 to 700 hours of direct patient care during nursing school. NPs can do much of what doctors do, including diagnosis and can also prescribe medicines.
4. Medical Student: A medical student is a physician in training and wears a hip length white coat. he or she can take a medical history, but the prescribing of medicines or diagnostic tests needs approval from a supervising physician.
5. Registered Nurse (RN): Certified and licensed by the state, RNs administer medicines, provide care and otherwise manage patient care. The iconic nurse's cap all but disappeared by the 1980's, as more men become nurses and there was a switch to unisex scrubs.
6. Technician: Technicians are in charge of performing routine tests, such as drawing blood, running EKGs etc. They are usually certified by the state, and they typically wear scrubs. Many technicians have an associate degree in clinical laboratory science.
Sunday, January 11, 2015
The Word Allah For God:
The Islamic name for God is Allah. Nothing else can be called as Allah. The term Allah has no plural or any gender. This shows its uniqueness when compared with the word god, which can be made plural as gods or feminine as goddess.
Allah the Almighty is the Creator and the Sustainer of the whole universe. Interestingly the name Allah is related to the Aramic and Hebrew names for God, Allaha and Elohim. So simply Allah is the Arabic name for God. Allah is unique and He is the Creator of everything.
Surah Ikhlas ( The Purity Of Faith):
Chapter 112 of the Holy Quran known as Surah Ikhlas translated as the purity of faith defines the concept of God in the best way.
Say, He is Allah the One, Allah The Eternal, Absolute; He begets not, nor is He begotten. And there is none like ( comparable) to Him.This four line definition of Almighty Allah given in the Holy Quran is the touch stone of theology (study of god). Attributes of Allah given in this surah (chapter) are unique and no false god can have these qualities.
Attributes And Characteristics Of Allah:
Allah is all Powerful, Merciful and The Lord of The universe. Allah is capable of doing all things. There are 99 names of Allah, some of them are:
- Ar-Rehman ( The Merciful)
- Ar-Raheem ( The all Compassionate )
- Al-Khaliq (The Creator)
- Al- Ghaffar ( The Ever Forgiving)
- Ar-Razzaq ( The ever Providing)
- As-Samieh ( The all Hearer)
- Al-Haqim ( The Wise)
To Read about all the 99 names of Allah go to the link
The Quranic Verses Describing The Great Attributes Of Allah:
1. Allah is Close To His Servants:
Surah Al Baqarah Chapter 2 verse 186:
When My servants ask you concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them) : I listen to the prayer of every supplicant, when he calls on Me, let them also with a will, listen to My call, and believe in Me, that they may walk in the right way.2. Allah is Loving And Forgiving:
Surah Hud Chapter 11 verse 90:
But ask forgiveness of your Lord, and turn unto Him (in Repentance); for my Lord is indeed full of Mercy and loving-kindness.
Tuesday, January 6, 2015
According to some famous authors:
And whether it's tears of joy or sorrow, the moments that cause us to choke up can tell us a lot about ourselves. ( Michael Trimble)
Crying, as well as other sorts of intense emotional experience, can help highlight for us what's important and what we need to focus on (Lauren Bylsma Ph.D)We all have experienced crying either after a breakup, or a loss of a loved one or just after a hard day at work and it often makes us feel better and help us put things in perspective. Research have shown both some beneficial as well as harmful effects of crying.
A Brief Physiology Related To Crying:
A neuronal connection between the lacrimal gland (tear duct) in the eyes and the areas of the human brain involved with emotions have been well established. Some scientist believe that only humans can shed tears in response to emotions.
It is interesting to know that tears that are shed while emotional crying have a different chemical composition compared to other types of tears.
The exact theory about why a person cries in response to emotional feelings is still unknown but just to simplify it is response to pain either physical or psychological.
Why Do We Cry?
It is both a simple as well a difficult question. Crying may be considered a response to some feelings of helplessness. A person may cry when hears a devastating news and has a feeling of being powerless over it and unable to influence it.
At times crying may be a survival mechanism and helps up release a buildup of feelings inside our mind.
Sometimes people may cry to signal a problem or to gain support from others during time of stress. Crying may sometimes elicit compassion and guilt. But again crying in majority of the situations is sudden and without one's control over it. It is difficult or almost impossible to make oneself cry without the emotional feelings inside.
Some Interesting Information About Crying:
Several factors play a role in the individual's crying.
1. Gender differences in crying is well known and it is seen that women cry more often than men. The exact reason is not known but it is a cultural as well as hormonal influence. Men are just not considered to be crying and is considered for them to be behaving like kids or women if they cry. Men not only cry less often but also for shorter time compared to women.
Monday, January 5, 2015
What is Backbiting?
Let us begin by explaining what is backbiting?
According to a Hadith is Sahih Muslim;
Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) once asked: Do you know what backbiting is? His companions replied: Allah and His Messanger (pbuh) know best. he (pbuh) then said : It is to say something about your brother that he would dislike. Someone asked: But what if what is said is true? The Messanger of Allah (pbuh) replied: If what you say about him is true , then you have backbitten him, but if it is not true then you have slandered him.It means that backbiting is that a person mentions the faults of his Muslim brother which he would not like if he heard about it.
This sin is committed by many of us without even considering it as a sin. The scholars agree that is is impermissible to talk behind a person's back for no legitimate reason. Most of them state it has one of the major sins.
It is very unfortunate to say that this sin is even being committed inside the most holy places like masjids. People come here to pray nimaz but while there are waiting for the call of prayer (azan) they sit together and instead of making zikr( remembrance of Allah) they are talking evil about someone behind his back.
The Reason Why Backbiting Is Forbidden:
Backbiting is one of those sins that sow enmity , hatred and disrespect among our fellow muslim brothers. It can lead to destruction of the families and relationships. It is a waste of time and takes us away from the remembrance of Allah.
When a person commits a sin of backbiting even if later on he asks for forgiveness he may not be forgiven unless the brother against whom he has backbitten forgives him.
Even becoming a part of the conversation where a brother is backbitten is a sin and one should refrain from it. It brings evil thoughts in the mind and is a waste of time.
Islam teaches its followers to respect each other and to honor the privacy of others.
Quran Prohibiting Backbiting:
Allah says in the Holy Quran Surah Al Hujrat Chapter 49 verse 12:
O you who believe! Avoid suspicion as much (as possible) for suspicion in some cases is a sin; and spy not on each other behind their backs (backbite) Would any of you like to eat the flesh of his brother? no you would abhor it.. But fear Allah for Allah is oft returning, most merciful.In Surah Al Humazah Chapter 104 verse 1:
Woe to every kind of scandal-monger and back biter,
Causes Of Lower Back Pain:
Symptom of main in the lower back is very common and about 8 in 10 people have suffered from a bout of lower back pain sometime in their life. In most cases it is not due to any serious disease. A few types and causes of the Lower back pain are described as follows:
1. Non-Specific Lower Back Pain: It is the most common type and the majority of people with back pain fall in this category. It is called non-specific because it is not clear what exactly causes the pain. The severity of pain may vary from mild to severe. It is thought that this type of pain may be caused by some strain or stretch of the muscle or the ligaments. It may sometimes develop suddenly following some awkward twisting movement or after lifting something heavy. Some people may sometimes just wake up with a lower back pain. It can also occur after standing for a long time or sitting in an abnormal posture.
2. Age Related Osteoarthritis: Older adults more than 60 years old may suffer from lower back pain secondary to age related degeneration of the joint and osteoarthritis.
3. Muscle Or Ligament Strain: Repeated heavy lifting, awkward movement during workouts may sometimes lead to a stretch or strain to the muscles and the ligaments causing pain.
4. Bulging or Ruptured Discs: Vertebral discs acts as cushions between the individual vertebra in the spine. Sometime the soft material inside the disc may bulge out or rupture and press on a nerve causing pain.
5. Ankylosing Spondylitis: It is a type of arthritis most commonly seen in young adult males and causes pain and stiffness in the lower back.
6. Skeletal Irregularities: Back pain may occur if the spine has an abnormal curvature. Scoliosis is one of such conditions in which the spine curves to the sides and can lead to back pain.
7. Radicular Pain (Sciatica): This pain is caused by irritation or compression of spinal nerve roots of the sciatic nerve. It is characterized by lower back pain, pain in the buttock, and pain along with numbness or weakness in one or both the legs and the foot.
8. Osteoporosis: A condition in which the bones become porous and brittle leading to minor fractures within the vertebra can cause lower back pain.
9. Pregnancy: Pregnancy can commonly cause lower back pain by mechanically stressing the lower back. The effects of hormones that loosen the ligaments as well as the anatomical change in curvature of the spine due to the growing fetus can cause pain.
Sunday, January 4, 2015
Not speaking the truth and telling lies is considered a great sin. Lying is always disliked and all the religions say so, particularly Islam is completely against telling lies.
According to Islam sin is any act that goes against the commands of Allah and His Prophet Mohammad (pbuh).
Lying is considered to be an evil characteristics by general ethics and the moral survival of the world depends on truthfulness.
A Simple Definition of Lies: Lying is something complete opposite to truth.It can either be spoken or written but it is completely or partially baseless and unreal.
The worst form of lying is the one that is done so upon Allah and His Messenger (pbuh) that is to falsely attribute things to them.
Quranic Verses That Discourages Lying:
There are many times where Allah mentions the liars to be punished and discourages telling lies.
Allah says in the Holy Quran in Surah Gafir chapter 40 verse 28
.......Truly Allah guides not one who transgresses and lies.In Surah Al Baqarah Chapter 2 verse 42
And cover not truth with falsehood, nor conceal the truth when you know (what it is)The Hypocrites are liars too because they lie to themselves and there sayings and actions are opposite. Allah says regarding the Hypocrites and the liars in Suarh Al Baqarah cahpter 2 verse 10:
In their hearts is disease, so Allah has increases their disease; and for them is a painful punishment because they (habitually) used to lie.Nowadays the psychologist have defined a condition or disorder in which a person lies habitually . Allah has described this condition of lying as a disease of heart in the Holy Quran 1400 hundred years ago.
A similar message regarding the hypocrites is repeated in Surah Al Munafiqoon chapter 63 verse 1:
.... and Allah bears witness that the hypocrites are indeed the liars.Lying Indicates A Person Is Weak and Coward:
When person lies there are many reason behind it, most commonly it is a sign of being a coward and weak. It indicates that the person is afraid of other people besides Allah. Telling lies can hide the truth from your fellow human being but not from Allah the Almighty who knows everything. Allah says In Holy Quran Surah Al Mulk chapter 67 verse 13 Allah says:
And whether you hide your word or publish it, he certainly has (full) knowledge, of the secrets of hearts.
Compulsive Lying or Pathological Lying is a controversial topic. It is still not defined exactly by the field of Psychiatry, but is is some how considered to be a psychological disorder that is characterized by a behavior or a habit of lying continuously. This frequent and repeated lying has no associated motive or benefit.
It is important to understand that a normal person usually lies in order to hide something, to obtain some external benefit or to avoid a punishment that is an ordinary lie is goal directed. On the other hand an individual who has a compulsive lying disorder, often lies without any purpose.
This disorder may be associated with other psychiatric or psychological conditions like Border line personality disorder, Bipolar disorder or Narcissism.
Characteristics of Compulsive Lying Disorder:
An individual who has a compulsive lying disorder usually shows following characteristics:
- Telling stories that are dazzling or fantastical.
- The tendency to tell a lie is chronic and is not proved by any situation or social pressure.
- There is an element of dis control present.
- The lie they tell usually show them as a constant victim, somehow trying to gain attention from others.
- Sometimes the stories told in the lie are to gain popularity and fame
Diagnosing A Compulsive Lying Disorder:
It is difficult to diagnose this condition and is not recognized as an isolated condition. It usually occurs along with other Psychiatric disorder. Excessive lying can be a symptom of many mental illnesses.
Lie detection also known as deception detection that involves certain questioning techniques and then monitoring the physiological functions to ascertain truth and false to certain extent. A normal person shows signs of stress and guilt but an individual with a disorder may not show any reaction.
Help For People With Compulsive Lying:
Compulsive lying is something similar to addictions like overeating, drinking, gambling and an individual with this disorder keeps on lying with no control. Here are few hints that can help people with this problem:
Saturday, January 3, 2015
A migraine attack can cause significant pain and discomfort with inability to perform normal activities and may last for hours or even days.
A Brief Overview: According to some statistics nearly 30 million people in United States suffer from Migraine. Headaches caused by migraine are more common in women than in men and also has some family predisposition. Migraine headaches may occur infrequently or as often as several times a week. Although it can begin at any time and different people may have different triggers it usually starts early in the morning. A person may start suffering from migraines at an age as young as 5 yrs. It is a treatable but not a curable condition, it is also not considered to be a life threatening condition although it always lead to significant discomfort to the patient.
Etiology: Although the exact cause is still not known it is believed to be a mixture of environmental and genetic factors. Changing hormone levels in the body may also play some role. Pathphysiologically it is believed to be a neurovascular disorder and the primary theory is related to increased excitability of the cerebral cortex and abnormal control of pain in the neurons of the trigeminal nucleus of the brain stem.
Risk Factors: Some individuals are more prone to develop Migraines and there are some common trigger factors. these may include;
- Female gender
- Hunger and missed meals
- Oral contraceptive use
- Drinking Alcohol
- Getting too little or too much sleep.
- Sudden change in sleeping routine
- Eating food like those that are high in caffeine, aged cheese and preserved meats.
- Pregnancy may sometimes decrease the attacks of migraine.
- Weather changes
- Being exposed to flashing lights or under the sun etc
Friday, January 2, 2015
Thursday, January 1, 2015
Even in hospitals there are few professionals that are really trained in specialized care for geriatric patients.
Caring for elderly people needs patience, effort, kindness as well as many times a hard work. Here are a few tips to help you understand the ways to manage them better:
1. If you are caring for an old person who is your parent always remember that there was a time when you were so weak and dependent and they were the ones who cared for you day and night to make you a person what you are now.
2. Many times your loved one is getting old and sick but he/she resists the need for a care. Never take it easy and remember even if they resist they need a proper care and it is your responsibility to provide them the care and attention they need.
3, Take time and determine the type of care that is needed. If they are not too sick to be hospitalized provide them the appropriate care at home. Many people when they get old find difficult getting a shower on their own, changing clothes, cooking, going to toilet, doing the grocery, driving etc. But initially they will deny a need for help with these daily chores. Talk to them and make them feel that you understand them and are always there to help.
4. It is very important to give elderly people a warm emotional support. Never isolate them. Talk to them and let your children play with them. Even if they are sick, bed ridden or hospitalized it is important for the loved ones to visit them on a daily basis, give them time, sit with them and eat together, keep on asking them if they need anything, stay positive and talk with them in a positive way giving them hope.
5. Elderly people at times needed to be psychologically prepared to understand the gradual visual and hearing impairment, difficulty with walking , skin changes etc.
6. If an elderly person is grieving the death of a loved one like the spouse, close relative or friend , those are the times when the care giver needs to give more attention and help them not go into depression or commit suicide or self harm.
Care In The Hospital: Among half of the adults who occupy hospital beds are more than 65 years old. As the life expectancy is increasing the number may also increase over the next few years.