Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Jesus In Islam

There are different beliefs about jesus among people of different faith. Many believe that he is god or son of god. The islamic position regarding jesus comes form Quran . The quran says in chapter 19 verse 30 that jesus said
" I am a servant of God. HE has granted me scripture, made me a prophet "

Muslims believe that Jesus was a human being appointed by God as His messenger. His birth was extraordinary and miraculous without any male intervention. But God chose Jesus to deliver the same unified message that past prophets had brought to humanity. that is to worship the One God and to lead a morally upright life in order to attain salvation in the eternal life after death.

Mary - The mother of Prophet Jesus
Mary was a righteous woman whose mother had dedicated her to God's service even before she was born. As a child she lived a remarkable life marked by piety. The quran mentions her by the name Mariam and there is a chapter in quran named Surah mariam Chapter 19. It is described in Quran That Mary one day when she withdrew herself from her people in seclusion the angel Gabriel visited her in the form of man. Fearful of stranger she prayed for protection. He comforted her , declaring that God sent him to announce the glad tidings of a faultless son. She asked how this was possible since no man has ever touched her. The angel replied which is explained in mentioned in Quran as:
"This is how God creates what He wills:when he has ordained something, He only says Be, and it is"
(Chapter 3 verse 47)
When she felt the baby within her she left her place fearing people what they would do or say when they heard the news. But angel Gabriel reassured her of God's blessings and once the baby Prophet Jesus mentioned as Essa in quran was born she returned to her community where people began to accuse her for being unchaste . As already instructed by God she pointed towards the child who spoke as an infant and is mentioned in Quran as:
"I am a servant of God. He has granted me scripture; made me a prophet;made me blessed where ever i may be. he commanded me to pray and to give alms as long as I live"
( chapter 19 verse 30-31)

Miracles Given To Jesus
Jesus was a prophet and messenger of God. He never claimed dignity.
He taught the scripture of God sent to him the Injeel (good news or Gospel), which confirmed the truth of previous holy books. To reinforce his messgae God granted him the abilty to perform miracles. all of the miracles happened with God's permission and Jesus never took credit for himself. It is mentioned in Quran, Jesus said:
"..... I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, i will make the shape of a bird for you out of clay, then breathe into it and with God' permission it will become a real bird; I will heal the blind and the leper, and bring the dead back to life with God's permission; I will tell you what you may eat and what you may store up in your houses> There truly is a sign for you in this , if you are believers. I have come to confirm the truth of the Torah which preceded me, and to make some things lawful to you which used to be forbidden. I have come to yoy with a sign from your Lord. Be mindful of God, obey me; God is my Lord and your Lord, so serve Him-that is a straight path"
(chapter 3 verse 49-51)

Jesus - The Messenger of God
Muslims believe that every nation received a messenger from God who taught the same teaching that is belief in One God without associating any partners. Just like prophets before him Jesus was also a messenger of God and he was given the scripture but with the period of time the original injeel has been altered and has not been maintained in its pure form.

Message Of Jesus
Prophet jesus never told his followers to worship him or believe him as a son of God. Instead it is clearly mentioned in Quran , jesus himself puts any false claims about his identity  and says:
"I told them only what You commanded me to: worship God my Lord and your Lord. I was witness over them during my time among them. Ever since You took my soul, You alone have been the watcher over them. You are witness to all things"
(chapter 5 verse 117)

Mohammad (pbuh)- the last Messenger
About six centuries after jesus, God sent His last messenger Mohammad (pbhu) and the final scripture the holy Quran. Mohammad was sent to all the humanity and he also confirmed the miraculous birth of Jesus. All Muslims are supposed to believe in Jesus as the prophet of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment